Sunday, March 25, 2018

Roadtrip SH8: Lindis Pass


The second mini quilt in my roadtrip series, inspired by our trip down State Highway 8 back in October last year.

This one represents the Lindis Pass, which has a unique grassy, tussocky, hilly landscape filled with power pylons from the hydro dams in the Mackenzie Basin.


I appliqued the landscape, using machine stitching to add textures to represent the different plants and fencelines etc; I hand stitched the long stitches of the pylon - it just needed to be a bit more to the centre seam (but at the time I thought I would be overlocking the edges, however in the end I decided to try a faced backing, which meant I lost a bit more of the side seam than I had planned for).

It's 9"x8" in size.

Linking up to share with Crazy Mom's Friday Night Finish Up! Have a good weekend everyone!




4 comments:

  1. You've been very creative with this piece. I love all the different stitches you used on the landscape. And a faced binding as well! I've seen this before, but I've never had the opportunity to try it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need a bit more practice with the faced backings so hopefully my technique will improve with the other minis in the series.

      Delete
  2. That little (?) quilt turned out great!! LOVE all the textures, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, yes, forgot to put in the size (9"x8") - was fun to try something different.

      Delete