Saturday, September 30, 2017

Bright Blessings for Jo


Created this baby quilt over a week of evenings and a weekend of sewing
 - an easy-peasy pattern called Tweet from a Spotlight promotional magazine.


It was a baby shower gift for my lovely workmate Jo Stanway, expecting her bundle 
of joy in November.  I had asked her when baby was due and what colours she would like me 
to make the quilt in (because she would know I would want to 
make a quilt) - so she was surprised, at the surprise shower last Tuesday
 afternoon, that I had made it so quickly.


The quilt measures 47.5" x 55.5" and has a mixture of bright solids, a gingham, 
a geometric, the dog paws print and the Dr Seuss ABC print.  
Jo and her husband 'Ces' don't know the baby's gender so brights cover both bases.
Jo always has dogs or puppies around her on the farm so I was thrilled to 
find the pawprint fabric at Kitz'n'Things in Invercargill.


The backing is a polka dot flannel, so cosy! 
And I just used a large all over stipple in a navy thread for the quilting.


And here is the mum-to-be! It has been a busy term at school so we decided 
to have the baby shower this week as a nice way to finish the term off! 
And it meant Jo was very surprised as she knew nothing about it happening!


And I love being able to share my work with like-minded crafters via Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday - I hope the week has gone well for all of you! I've just got back from five days of wonderful tutorials at the NZ National Quilting Symposium in Christchurch.

 I felt very lucky to have learnt from quilting artists such as Lyric Kinard, Pat Archibald, Donna Ward, Judy Coates-Perez and Brenda Gael Smith - I was in a state of crafty-bliss for five days!
I have posted by projects at this link

5 comments:

  1. Your quilt is so cute! Lots of thoughtfulness when into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! It was nice to finally be able to put something together after all the busy-ness of the past three months.

      Delete
  2. This is a fun design for a baby quilt and it works well with the bright colours.
    What a gorgeous gift.
    Cheers, Karen
    http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - I was in a very happy place working with these bright fabrics.

      Delete
  3. A cute baby quilt! Love all the bright fabrics!

    ReplyDelete