Sunday, January 5, 2014

Craftsy/Leah Day FMQ Class - Block One

Have quilted this block from my 2012 Amy Gibson Craftsy class BOM modern quilt sampler, following Leah Day's advice in her FMQ Craftsy class that followed up the BOM class. There is stippling in the cross, paisley in the white and curves in the corners (a bit wonky but all good practice!) 

Just like Amy is a great tutor in her video lessons, so is Leah - lots of expert advice and great tips on how to do FMQ, very easy to follow instructions. I look forward to working my way through each of the blocks and techniques as I tackle the quilting on this single-bed-sized quilt. 
 
First I stitched in the ditch around each of the blocks. 

I had started by practising on a sandwich made from some leftover charm squares. Might become a cushion eventually!

In looking for leftovers/scraps (to create the practise sandwich from) I ended up having a sort out of my scraps (had thought about making a slab to practise on as per Amanda Jean Nyberg's book, and she has instructions on how to make storage boxes out of scraps).

I ended up with these piles of larger scraps as well as a shoebox of strings and an old small suitcase of small pieces. The charm squares were fast to put together and I think I need to collect more scraps before I can make the boxes! 






No comments:

Post a Comment